Nothing Phone 3 + NiceHCK Tears (Type-C) – Audio Impressions

Hello everyone, in this post I’ll be sharing my insights on both the phone and the in-ear monitor, focusing mainly on sound performance.

My Background
I’m an audio hobbyist and also a tech enthusiast. I started this journey way back in 2019, and over time, I’ve been working on combining both hobbies into a more focused interest—audio performance on modern tech devices.

Review Proper
The Nothing Phone 3, the flagship offering from Nothing, is quite impressive when it comes to sound output. Interestingly, some reviewers seem to have overlooked its full potential in the audio department.
It’s powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8s Gen 4. While most people focus on its performance and efficiency, the audio side of this chipset is surprisingly capable, delivering a clean and enjoyable listening experience.
It’s powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8s Gen 4. While most people focus on its performance and efficiency, the audio side of this chipset is surprisingly capable, delivering a clean and enjoyable listening experience.
For this test, I used the NiceHCKTears as my baseline IEM.

This IEM comes in two versions: a traditional 3.5mm audio jack and a Type-C version. The unit I’m using is the Type-C variant, which includes a built-in DSP. This makes it particularly interesting for testing since the sound can be influenced not only by the phone but also by its internal processing.
I’ve already done a full review of this IEM, but for this setup, I’m incorporating the Nothing Phone 3 along with the NiceHCK app to explore different sound modes.

Sound Modes Testing

Spatial On (Diffusion Mode Enabled)
This setting provides a more immersive and wider presentation. It can make the listening experience feel more spacious, which works well for certain types of content.
However, the main drawback is that it introduces an artificial character to the sound. The dynamics feel slightly compressed, and some details lose their natural presentation. While not ideal for critical listening, it can still be enjoyable depending on the scenario.

Spatial On (Diffusion Mode Disabled)
This is the most balanced option in my testing.
It retains better sound dynamics and keeps the presentation more natural, especially for vocals. The only trade-off is that the soundstage may feel slightly less expansive compared to when diffusion is enabled.
That said, if you’re aiming for a cleaner and more natural vocal presentation, this mode is the better choice overall.

Conclusion 
In conclusion, the nothing phone 3 has an impressive sound output despite it being a startup brand.



Previous Post Next Post

Contact Form